Dr Rajgopal Acharya M
Department: HPB Surgery & Liver Transplant
Designation: Senior Consultant – Liver Transplant & HPB Surgery
Qualification: MS, FACS, FMAS, FIAGES, FALS – HPB.Book an appointment
He is deeply interested and involved in hepatopancreaticobiliary surgery and liver transplantation. He has been involved in more than 1400 liver transplantation surgeries which include some of the rarest liver surgeries like dual lobe liver transplants, ABO incompatible liver transplants, domino liver transplants and swap pair exchange transplants. He has good experience in adult as well as pediatric liver transplantations. He is also trained in HPB oncosurgery at Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai and is experienced in treating cancers of the liver, pancreas and biliary system. He has always been keen to upgrade his skills and extend the benefit to his patients for which he has updated himself with latest technical knowledge through fellowships in minimally invasive HPB surgery. He has been involved in laparoscopic as well as robotic donor hepatectomy surgeries. He is a trained robotic surgeon and well versed with robotic HPB surgeries on DaVinci platform.
- July 2019 to April 2023
- Associate Consultant, Liver Transplant and HPB Surgery, Max Hospital, Delhi
- August 2018 to June 2019
- Senior Resident, HPB Oncosurgery, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- July 2017 to February 2018
- Senior Resident, Surgical Oncology, Clearmedi Radiant Hospital, Mysore
- April 2016 to April 2017
- Fellow, Liver Transplant and HPB Surgery, CLBS, Max Hospital, Delhi
- August 2015 to December 2015
- Surgical Registrar, Saivani Hospital, Hyderabad
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Master of Surgery (MS)
- Fellowship of American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellowship in Liver Transplantation and HPB Surgery (FLTHPB)
- Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery (FMAS)
- Fellowship of Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endo Surgeons (FIAGES)
- Fellowship in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery – HPB (FALS-HPB)
- Da Vinci certified Robotic Console Surgeon- HPB/Liver
- Adult liver transplantation
- Pediatric liver transplantation
- Laparoscopic donor hepatectomy
- Robotic donor hepatectomy
- HPB Oncosurgery
Awards and Recognitions
- First Prize in poster presentation during surgical residency, UPASICON 2014
Topic: Malignant tumors of the appendix, presentation and management: a review1
- First Prize in Video Presentation in LTSICON 2021.
Topic: Medial Reduction of Left Lateral Segment Grafts for Small Infants
Services and Treatments
- Liver Transplantation:
- Living donor liver transplantation – adult and pediatric
- Cadaveric liver transplantation
- Laparoscopic donor hepatectomy
- Robotic donor hepatectomy
- Domino liver transplantation
- Swap liver transplantation
- ABO incompatible liver transplantation
- Dual lobe liver transplantation
- Acute liver failure management
- Liver surgery
- Liver resections for benign and cancers of liver
- Laparoscopic hepatectomy
- Laparoscopic pericystectomy for hydatid cyst
- Laparoscopic enucleation for hydatid cyst
- Liver resection for hemagioma of liver
- Liver abscess drainage
- Liver resection for HCC and cholangiocarcinoma
- Liver resection for RPC (recurrent pyogenic cholangitis)
- Pancreatic Surgery
- Whipple’s surgery for pancreatic cancer and Chronic pancreatitis
- Frey’s procedure
- Distal pancreatectomy
- Distal pancreatectomy with splenectomy
- Total Pancreatectomy
- Cystogastrostomy for pancreatic pseudocyst
- Cystojejunostomy for pancreatic pseudocyst
- ypass surgeries for advanced pancreatic malignancies
- Acute Pancreatitis management
- Enucleation for neuroendocrine tumors of pancreas
- Biliary Surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Bile duct injuries repair
- Laparoscopic CBD exploration
- Hepaticojejunostomy (RYHJ)
- Bile duct resection for Cholangiocarcinoma
- Choledochal cyst excision
- Acute cholecystitis management
- Biliary fistula management
- Spleen and Shunt Surgery
- Splenectomy – open and laparoscopic
- Splenorenal shunt surgery
- Mesocaval shunt surgery
- Portocaval shunt surgery
- Mesenteric ischemia management/surgery
- Gastric devascularization
- Retroperitoneal sarcoma surgery
- IVC sarcoma surgery
- Living Donor Liver Transplant for Budd-Chiari Syndrome Without Caval Replacement: A Single-Center Study. May 2021. Experimental and Clinical Transplantation.
- Do Natural Portosystemic Shunts Need to Be Compulsorily Ligated in Living Donor Liver
- Transplantation?. April 2021. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology
- Protocol to ensure continued paediatric liver transplantation service during the COVID pandemic and the encouraging outcomes. March 2021. Paediatric Transplantation 25(13)
- Living Donor Liver Transplant in patients with Hepatorenal syndrome without the use of Intraoperative Renal Replacement Therapy, a single center experience”. February 2021. Clinical Transplantation 35(5)
- -Pancreaticojejunostomy for Pancreatico-enteric Anastomosis after Pancreaticoduodenectomy: one procedure with multiple techniques. October 2020.
- Living Donor Liver Transplant for Dengue-Related Acute Liver Failure: A Case Report. September 2020.
- Experimental and Clinical Transplantation 19(2).
- Primary Hepatic Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour (GIST): Unusual Presentation and Diagnosis 2020. Journal of International Cancer.
- Outcome of Paediatric Liver transplants in Patients with Less than 10 kg of Body Weight Is Not Worse. August 2020. Experimental and Clinical Transplantation 18(6):707-711
- Co-author- Pelvic Exenteration with Cytoreductive Surgery and Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (CRS+HIPEC) for rectal Cancer-case series with Review of Literature in Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- Abstract Outflow Reconstruction in LDLT published in Symposium of Journal of Hepatobiliary-Pancreatic Sciences, Volume 24, Issue 1, May 2017, accepted in 6th A-PHPBA / 29th JSHBPS.
- Corresponding author of chapter Middle Vein in Live Donor Liver Transplantation: under publication.
- E-poster presentation in RGCON2018, Delhi. Topic: Differentiating Neuroendocrine Tumours of The Liver, Primary Versus Secondary; a Continuum Diagnosis.
- E-poster presentation in MCLD2018, Chennai. Topic: Persistent Ascites After Liver Transplantation.
- Oro-Poster presentation in Annual Meeting of Indian Society of Organ Transplantation 2017. Topic: Primary Neuroendocrine tumour of the liver, a case report.
- Abstract Primary Neuroendocrine tumour of the liver, a case report, published in Indian Journal Of Transplantation; Volume 11, issue 4; Oct-Dec 2017.
- As 1st author in an International Publication: Honey As A Wound Debridement Agent in Wound Technology: Debridement 2; Issue 21, July 2013
- As 1st author- Role Of Colour Doppler Ultrasonography In Differentiating Malignant From Benign Thyroid Nodules in IJANS ISSN(P):2319-4014; Impact Factor (JCC):2.9459.
- As a co-author- Comparison Of Outcomes (Early And Late) Following Open And Laparoscopic Repair Of Inguinal Hernias: An Experience Of A Single Surgical Unit in IMPACT:IJRANSS; Vol 2, Issue 2, 163-168.
- As a co-author- Antimicrobial Properties Of Honey And Its Mechanism: A Review in IJANS ISSN(P):2319- 4014; Impact Factor (JCC):2.9459.
- As a co-author of chapter "Diabetic Foot And Its Complications" in book entitled FUNDAMENTAL OF DIABETES (ISBN: 9789352501519).
- Poster presentation in UPASICON 2014, Aligarh. Topic 1: Malignant tumors of the appendix, presentation and management: a review. Topic 2: Study of Duplex Scan In The Evaluation Of Thyroid Swelling.