In the current condition of unrestrained pollution, people suffering from lung diseases are not uncommon at all. However, the treatment of respiratory problems is sometimes difficult and done in a dissatisfactory manner due to a lack of technology, infrastructure or trained medical staff.
Gleneagles Global Hospitals brings to you, the Pulmonology department for the treatment of all kinds of respiratory diseases, by some of best pulmonologist in Hyderabad.
Pulmonology is the medical specialty concerned with the diseases and defects of every part of the respiratory system. Pulmonology can be considered as synonymous with pneumology and respiratory medicine. The Pulmonology branch of medicine is broadly concerned with diseases like Asthma, Lung Cancer, Tuberculosis, Pneumonia, Emphysema and other types of Occupational Lung Diseases and chest infections.
A practitioner in pulmonology is called a Pulmonologist or Respiratory Physician. He/ She is trained to manage patients who need mechanical ventilation and life support.
The department of Pulmonology deals with any disease related to the lungs and other parts of the respiratory system. Some of the technologies included are Spirometer, Bronchoscopy, Scintigraphy, etc., all of which are available at the multi-specialty hospital of Gleneagles Global Hospital, Lakadi-ka-Pul, Hyderabad.
The proper diagnosis and treatment of lung diseases require several modern technology and advanced infrastructure. Gleneagles Global Hospital Hyderabad brings to you, all the required medical facilities making it, one of the best hospitals for treatment of lung diseases in Hyderabad. Providing the best and most well-trained specialists and medical staff, Gleneagles is amongst the best hospital for pulmonology in Hyderabad.
Lung Disease, if detected early and appropriately diagnosed, can be cured to a great extent, mostly giving permanent relief to the patient. At Gleneagles Global Hospital, the best pulmonologist of Hyderabad, coupled up with the modern infrastructure and advanced technologies, makes it amongst the best hospital for treatment of lung diseases in Hyderabad and every patient’s first choice.
Technology, Infrastructure, Diagnostic Tests and Treatments provided here are-
- Pulmonary Function Testing Lab (PFT Lab): The Pulmonology department at Gleneagles offers state of the art facilities and devices for precise diagnosis and confident treatment, like the PFT Lab. It gives the most accurate, cost-effective and quick test results so that treatment is not delayed in any way.
- Bronchoscopy: It is an endoscopic technique to visualise the inner side of the airways for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes.
- Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
- Treatment of other lung and respiratory diseases such as Asthma, Emphysema, Pneumonia etc.
- Treatment of sleep disorders and related issues
Among other achievements, the Gleneagles Global Hospital of Lakdi-ka-Pul, Hyderabad, is credited with being in the forefront of performing several complex and rare surgeries in that area which include the first successful Heart Transplant in that area and several successful Kidney and Liver Transplants. Other than Pulmonologists, expert care and modern surgical procedures with the use of advanced equipment are offered for a wide range of specialities like Hepatology, Nephrology, Bariatrics, Gastroenterology, Multi-Organ Transplants and others.
At Gleneagles Global Hospital, Hyderabad, every patient is given individual attention and informed about all the steps, tests and diagnosis before they are conducted. All the doubts of a patient, in relation to the process of treatment, are answered precisely, to keep the entire process of treatment, transparent to the patient.
Gleneagles is always updated with the recent advancements in the field of medicine and medical infrastructure. Thus, it can provide patients with future healthcare opportunities in the present time.
The compassionate medical care, innovative techniques of therapy and relentless efforts provided by the staff of Gleneagles are the reasons for considering it to be amongst the best hospital for pulmonology in Hyderabad.
Before you visit any pulmonologist, you must know about the type of diagnostic methods used to detect any pulmonary disease. Here at Gleneagles, the best specialists of Hyderabad provide every patient with the most advanced methods of diagnosis to continue with the treatment confidently. These facilities include-
Tests of Pulmonary Functions
- Laboratory investigation of blood to check the level of oxygen and other substances in your blood and sometimes measurements of arterial blood gas measurements.
- Spirometry used to diagnose airflow obstruction by determination of the maximum airflow at a particular lung volume. By measuring how rapidly you can breathe air in and out, this test measures the wellness of your lungs.
- Bronchoscopy: Uses a thin, flexible tube with a camera on the end, inserted mostly through the mouth, nose or occasionally through a tracheostomy, to have the interior view of the air passages and the lungs.
- X-Ray of the chest uses low doses of radiation to get an image of your lungs and other respiratory portions of your chest.
- CT Scan
- Scintigraphy and other types of Nuclear medicine
- Positron Emission Tomography: Positron Emission Tomography (or PET) is a nuclear medicine functional imaging technique used to observe metabolic processes of the body as an aid to diagnose the disease, especially Lung Cancer.
- Polysomnography: Helps determine sleep disorders
Surgical procedures include:
- Radiographic techniques to determine vasculature of the heart and lungs, to assist in diagnosis.
- Other specialised processes by a thoracic surgeon.
Pulmonologists guided diagnostic procedures
Any physician or surgeon in the department of Pulmonology follows the methods given below to diagnose and treat the respiratory disease a patient is suffering.
- Mucus and fluids are removed from the lungs
- Try to ease the problematic breathing due to obstruction of the nasal passage
- The tissue samples to diagnose diseases
- Analyse the lungs and airways through various tests to help figure out the condition
When to See a Pulmonologist?
You might need to see a pulmonologist if you face the following symptoms:
- A cough that is severe or that lasts for more than three weeks
- Chest pain
- Trouble in breathing
- Extreme tiredness
- Asthma that’s hard to control
- Sleep disorders causing other physical complications
Given below are a list of lung diseases, other respiratory troubles and allergies which are treated under the Pulmonology branch of medicine. If any patient suffers from any of the diseases given here, he/she must visit the Gleneagles Global Hospital, which has the best pulmonologist in Hyderabad.
Allergy and Immunology
- Allergic Rhinitis: It is an immune response, also called Hay Fever, when you breathe in indoor or outdoor allergens like dust, pollen, animal fur or dander etc. Some of the symptoms include inflammation of the nose, nasal congestion, coughing, sneezing etc.
- Allergic Conjunctivitis: It is a reaction to the introduction of such materials to a person’s eye, to which he/she is allergic. Reddening of the eye develops along with itching and secretion from the eyes. Allergic conjunctivitis often happens to patients already suffering from Allergic Rhinitis.
- Nasal Polyps or Sinusitis: Inflammation of the nose due to allergic reactions may lead to blockage of the sinus, ultimately causing sinus infections. When Nasal Polyps become large enough to obstruct breathing, it causes the condition of Sinusitis. Medical treatment is often successful; surgical removal is required rarely.
- Vocal Cord Dysfunction
Signs like difficulty in breathing, tightness in the chest, wheezing, coughing, stuffy nose etc. might be indicative of Asthma. Though not curable, under the best hospital for pulmonology in Hyderabad, at Gleneagles, it can be controlled and managed by medications. The patient care available here helps you to cope with it effectively and live with it.
This is considered a very serious or even fatal lung disease in young adults and children. At present, there is no fixed cure for this disease, treatment and medications by the best pulmonologist in Hyderabad would help you to control the symptoms and live comfortably.
Emphysema is one of the main types of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases in which the alveoli of the lungs are damaged. Medications, Surgery, Therapy and Proper Nutrition are some of the treatments of Emphysema.
Interstitial Lung Disease
It involves a group of disorders characterised by inflammation and progressive scarring of the interstitium. The scarring is irreversible, and thus, the disease must be diagnosed early to prevent further progression. A Lung Transplant might be the last resort to treat this disease.
It is a field of pulmonology that uses minimally invasive endoscopic techniques to treat several respiratory problems. It is primarily used to restore normal breathing, maintain the airway, and prevent the lungs from collapsing.
Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
A procedure to remove diseased lung tissue. It is done for patients with emphysema, COPD, and dyspnoea.
: It is a condition where the arteries of your lungs have high blood pressure.
Thoracic surgery and Lung Transplant
The experienced surgeons and pulmonologists at the Gleneagles Global Hospital at Ladki-ka-pul, Hyderabad form one of the most trustworthy and best groups of specialists in Hyderabad to conduct successful Lung transplant and other thoracic surgeries. Gleneagles Global Hospital of Ladki-ka-pul, Hyderabad is credited with carrying out the first successful Heart Transplant in that area.
Tuberculosis (TB) is a contagious and chronic airborne disease caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium tuberculosis and mainly affects the lungs. Pulmonary tuberculosis is caused when the lungs are attacked primarily by Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Symptoms of Pulmonary Tuberculosis include a chronic cough that lasts for several weeks, coughing out blood or mucus and chest pain.
Occupational Lung Disease
In our fast-paced and busy life, we are often not conscious of our health. Ignoring the condition of the air of the surroundings in which we work can give rise to several occupational lung diseases. However, the state-of-the-art Infrastructure and diagnosis units present at the Gleneagles Global Hospital Hyderabad is equipped for the recognition and treatment of every kind of occupational lung disease and guarantees you a healthy and free life ahead.
There are several kinds of sleep disorders. Some of which that are treated at the Gleneagles Global Hospital of Hyderabad are-
- Insomnia:This is the most common type of sleep disorder in which the patient has the trouble of not falling asleep. Around 10 – 15% of adults suffer from the problem of sleeplessness. Generally, psychological issues like stress and anxiety cause insomnia. Also, restlessness, when caused due to other factors like pulmonary troubles, gives rise to diseases like Depression, Anxiety, Lack of focus, loss of attention etc.
- Idiopathic Hypersomnia:This disease might be considered to be exactly opposite of insomnia. It is caused when a person feels sleepy throughout the day and finds it difficult to wake up early. This disease is characterised by sleeping for as long as 14- 18 hours a day. It might also be caused due to depression.
Medications and proper counselling (if necessary) is provided by the best pulmonologist in Hyderabad as well as the other experienced medical staff at Gleneagles Global to help patients get cured of these sleep disorders as soon
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
It is a severe lung disease that can get worse over time if left untreated for long. Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema are two central diseases which are included in the COPD disease, making it a deadly disease.
Obstructive Sleep Apnoea
It is a form of sleep disorder. A person’s breathing is briefly interrupted frequently while asleep. It leads to disturbed sleep and low blood oxygen levels.
The Gleneagles Global Hospital at Ladki-ka-pul, Hyderabad, has onboard some of the best Pulmonologists in Hyderabad. They are highly qualified doctors and are the best pulmonologist in Hyderabad. Our doctors have years of experience treating lung diseases. They are leading lights in the field of pulmonology. They have an in-depth understanding of the latest equipment to provide you with the best treatment. They also work hand-in-hand with the cardiovascular and intensive care units in the case of complications or emergencies. We are the best hospital for pulmonology in Hyderabad and make sure that our patients have a satisfactory journey of treatment here. We can assure you that your ward will be in great hands and will have a very comfortable journey to recovery. It is our sole responsibility to give the best that we can. Being amongst the best hospital for the treatment of lung diseases in Hyderabad, we have to provide you with expert opinion for every little health problem that you are going through during the treatment of lung diseases.
Dr Tapaswi Krishna
M.B.B.S, M.D (Respiratory Medicine)
From the Doctor's Desk
We bring to you exclusive articles and videopods from our panel of experienced team of doctors. The articles revolve around myriad topics covering different aspects of a disease or condition right from what its about to its causes, symptoms, risk factors, diagnosis, treatment, etc. They also cover latest trends, technological advancements and new treatment methods. Stay tuned to this page for latest updates.
Know about Interstitial Lung Disease
Dr Tapaswi Krishna